On July 19, 1877, the Weber Stake Relief Society was organized in Ogden, Utah, by President Brigham Young with Jane Snyder Richards, President of the Relief Society.
The Relief Society Building was commissioned by Brigham Young in 1877. The building was built in classic gothic style of red brick which was made in Weber County. This structure was built with funds raised by the Relief Society sisters who saved their money from the sale of eggs and butter to pay for the construction.
The building was dedicated on July 19, 1902, to the Weber Stake Relief Society under the direction of Jane Snyder Richards. This was the only known Stake Relief Society hall built by the LDS Church. The building quickly became the meeting place for festivals, plays, concerts, dances, etc.
The building was deeded to the Weber County Daughters of Utah Pioneers (DUP) on September 20, 1926, by President Heber J. Grant. The building was dedicated as a Pioneer Hall on February 22, 1929.
During World War II the building was confiscated by the Federal Government, to be used as Ogden's first day care center for children of women who worked in the war effort. Following the war, it reverted back to the Daughters and the artifacts were taken out of storage and once again displayed to the public free of charge.
The Relief Society Building was the last of the historical buildings that had been located on the original site within the Tabernacle Square in Ogden, Utah. Due to the expansion of the Ogden LDS Temple, the LDS Church moved the museum and helped with its restoration in exchange for the land on which the museum was located.
On January 24, 2012, the building was moved to a new permanent location on a half-acre of land that was donated by Ogden City on the corner of Lincoln Avenue and 21st Street,which is one block west of the LDS temple.
The building weighs 600 tons. It was moved with the use of a remote-controlled dolly which was made up of 136 tires. Museum officials watched as their building inched its way to its new home. Once the museum was lowered on to its new foundation, the restoration process began. Rod Mortensen, architect on the project stated that the old brick building was in good condition despite some water and plaster damage.
Those wanting a glimpse into the past of pioneer life and early days in Ogden need look no further than their own backyard with the DUP Museum in downtown Ogden on the corner of 21st and Lincoln. People can get a look at a pair of Brigham Young’s old boots and cane, plates from the Nauvoo Temple dedication, hand-sewn pioneer clothes and even an old, petrified biscuit that came across the plains.
The museum offers patrons the chance to take a close look at what pioneer life was like. The museum has a large section that is dedicated specifically to the pioneer journey, with a genuine handcart that came across the plains as well as a replica of a wagon box with Martin Harris’ oxen yoke attached.
There is also a replica of a kitchen, bedroom and a parlor. The main floor of the museum has items up to the year of 1900, but the basement has newer items. You will also find many items of some of Weber County’s first settlers, along with pictures and many stories. People can see an abundance of items from the Farr and Bingham families – some of the original settlers of the area.
Copyright. Weber DUP Museum. All Rights Reserved.